Use fresh summer or frozen fruit!
Here is a fairly easy recipe to make that is definitely worth the effort. Right now, I am inspired to make this every week when I see all the summer fruit at our farmers market. But don’t get overwhelmed…. you can easily make this with frozen fruit and it tastes just as good!
I recently made this on a family vacation- I simply premixed the dry ingredients in a ziploc bag before I left home, bought frozen fruit once I arrived, and then cooked the cobbler one night at dinnertime. It was very quick and easy to make. As an added bonus, it makes enough for an additional 2 nights of leftovers. I think it is a great way to serve healthy dessert while on vacation.
While it is baking in the oven, whip up some vegan soft serve ice cream. The plain banana version (or banana plus vanilla bean) works well as a vanilla ice cream substitute and people can decide if they want the ice cream on the side or on top of the warm cobbler. (Note: I have found that giving your family lots of food combinations/choices will greatly increase their satisfaction with their meal!)
Enjoy the end of summer, The Mama
Ingredients for the fruit
- 6 cups of fresh or frozen fruit (I use 3 cups sliced peaches, 1 cup blueberries and 2 cups sliced apples)
- 1/2 cup water, 4 pitted dates and 1/4 tsp cinnamon pureed together in Vitamix
Ingredients for the topping
- 1.25 cups of hemp milk
- 4 dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, ends trimmed off
- 3/4 cup gluten free old fashioned oats ground into flour
- 3/4 cup gluten free old fashioned oats (not ground)
- 1/4 cup teff flour
- 1/4 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup of ground nuts (walnuts, macadamia nuts or a combination)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 and find your 8 by 11 glass pyrex dish. (No need to grease the pyrex dish, the cobbler will not stick!)
- Put the 6 cups of fruit into the pyrex dish.
- Puree the water, dates and cinnamon in the Vitamix. Add it to the pyrex dish and combine it well with the fruit so that the fruit is well covered.
- In the Vitamix, mix together the wet ingredients (hemp milk, dates, pecans, lemon juice, vanilla bean).
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (oat flour, oats, teff flour, millet flour, ground nuts, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon).
- Add the contents from the Vitamix into the large bowl containing the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread the topping mixture over the fruit using a large spoon.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Check in the center to make sure the topping is done. The fruit should be bubbling and the topping should be well cooked throughout.
- Let it cool a bit before serving. It tastes best served warm.
- Frozen peaches are pre cut, and work well in this recipe. Frozen blueberries work just as well as fresh ones. Any type of apple works great. No need to peel the apples.
- Serving the cobbler warm with vegan soft serve ice cream elevates this dessert to a whole other level!